The Sisters of the Congregation of Carmelite Religious have been serving India since 1880. We have commited ourselves to the promotion of a more just and humane society in our country. The inspiration provided by our Foundress Mother Veronica continues to strengthen this commitment.
In India, of today, the pressures of casteism, communalism, poverty, and exploitative structures make it imperative to equip our students not only with intellectual skills but also with a set of attitudes imbued with social, moral and spiritual values.
Our commitment to this kind of education is made in order to serve specifically the young and among them the poor. We will also seek to conscientize them of their human rights and struggle with them in the face of ongoing oppression and exploitation.
We invite our collaborators, students and parents to work with us in realizing our challenging vision of brining about a new India.
MOTHER VERONICA'S IDEAL
Mother Veronica's Ideal was to make God known and loved by means of Christian Education in all social milieux. This ideal remains the Aim of the Congregation with the preference, inherited from the Foundress, for the Young and for the Poor.
What kind of women did Mother Veronica wish to form in her work with the young?
• Women with FAITH in God, themselves and others who would live their lives in the light of that FAITH.
• Women capable of being good WIVES and MOTHERS and of creating happy HOMES.
• Women, whose very PRESENCE anywhere would exude GOODNESS and touch other lives.
• Women CAPABLE of EARNING A LIVING by their HONEST WORK.
What did she desire of her Religious and their lay Collaborators?
• To be living WITNESSES in their own lives of the values they teach.
• To be completely dedicated to the young and to be REAL MOTHERS to them.
• To have FORESIGHT and THOROUGHNESS in preparing and carrying out their duties.
• To be IMPARTIAL.
• To have a great SIMPLICITY in doing all things to please God.
• To be COURTEOUS, but without any affection in their manner, tone of voice, deportment and behaviour.
• To be CLEAN and ORDERLY in their work and in their personal appearance but without pretence.
We are an essentially Apostolic Community - whose special mission is to make God known and loved, according to the Charism of our Foundress Mother Varonica.
We direct our service of Education, to all people and especially to the young and the underprivileged. We accept responsibility for the development of child by -
Preparing her to live confidently in a rapidly changing world, to involve herself in the social problems of our times and to be an effective agent in the transformation of society.
Helping her to grasp the basic-human values, to internalize these into her behavior and to be ever open to 'the Spiritual'.
Unfolding and activating her unique potentials, equipping her with skills to earn her livelihood, stimulating her creative ability so that she will have an impact on her home, her neighbourhood and her county.
Awakening in her a social consciousness and a spirit of availability and ready service at all times and in every sphere of life.
IN SHORT by helping her to leave school with principles and ideals which will guide and motivate her through life, and help her to strive to influence, to share and to use the blessings of her education for the benefit of others.
A Child is a person, man or woman - to - be,
the joy and life for the family,
the hope of the State,
the greatest treasure of God,
Whose whole future rests on the
foundation of its early years.
THIS IS A TREMENDOUS THOUGHT:
It is a great honour then for you and for us to be allowed to watch over the formation of a being so precious.